Wednesday, January 9, 2008

It's All About Perspective

One of the best things about Pittsburgh is its rivers. I love watching water skiers and jet skiers cruise through the downtown area in summer. It's like having your vacation spot right at home.

This past summer, I wanted to take advantage of one of the coolest companies in the area for my birthday: Just Ducky Tours. They take you around the Point from two perspectives: land and water. The tour
starts at Station Square then meanders through the streets of the Downtown and North Shore areas. But wait, there's more. Halfway through the tour, the guide detours and plunges the "Duck" into the river (usually the Ohio, but on my tour it was the Monongahela). That's right, the tour is in an amphibious vehicle from World War II. They just don't make cars like they used to. I think those Duck-mobiles will last forever.

Back to the story at hand: the tour continues to sweep up and down the rivers around the Point while giving a plethora of facts and trivia about the city of Pittsburgh. I must say, it's quite an experience and I definitely recommend it to anyone.

I took this shot as we had just cleared the Smithfield Bridge towards the end of the tour. I can't really begin to explain the value of being able to get a shot like this. The perspective is just amazing to me and I really hope you'll agree.

No comments: